How do I change employers?
To change employers, you must apply to change the conditions of your work permit.
Before you apply, you need some information and documents from your new employer. What you need will depend on if the employer needs a Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) to hire you.
If your employer needs an LMIA
Your employer must give you:
- a new job offer letter
- a new LMIA number, and
- a new contract signed by you and your future employer
If you work in Quebec, you will also need a new Québec Acceptance Certificate.
If your employer doesn’t need an LMIA
Your employer must give you the offer of employment number they received when they submitted your offer of employment.
Employer compliance exemptions
Some LMIA-exempt employers don’t need to submit an offer of employment. Find out how to get a work permit for these jobs.
Answers others found useful
- What is an open work permit?
- Who can apply for an open work permit?
- Are there any conditions on my work permit?
- What is a Labour Market Impact Assessment?
- I am a Canadian citizen and my spouse is not. Can my spouse work in Canada?
- How can I find out about jobs in Canada?
- How long will it take to process my work permit application?
- Can I apply to extend a work permit from inside Canada?
Form and guide
- Date modified: