I have been charged more than $7 CAD for my eTA on another website. I think I have been scammed. How can I find out and can I get a refund?
You may have used a legitimate third party service that charges more to get an eTA. These companies do not operate on behalf of the Government of Canada, but have websites that charge extra fees to give information and submit an eTA application to the Government of Canada website.
The Government of Canada does not issue refunds for extra fees charged by third party websites.
Find out if your eTA is valid
As a first step, use the eTA Check Status tool. Enter the following information:
- eTA application number, and
- details from the passport you used to apply
- passport number,
- passport country of issuance,
- issue date, and
- expiry date.
After submitting these details, you will see information about your eTA on the status screen. This information will confirm whether you are authorized to travel to Canada despite being charged more than $7 CAD.
If it has been more than 72 hours since you applied and if you do not see any information or get an error message when you use the Check Status tool, complete this enquiry form. Note: It can take us several days to answer your enquiry.
If, once the Government of Canada reviews your enquiry, it is confirmed that you do not have an eTA and there is no application in your name, follow these steps:
- If you are outside of Canada:
- contact your local police.
- If you are in Canada:
- follow the instructions at Canada’s Anti-Fraud Centre or call 1-888-495-8501 toll-free.
Answers others found useful
- Do I need a visa to visit Canada?
- Do I need a Canadian visa if I have a United States visa?
- How do I apply for an eTA for travel to Canada?
- I am visiting the U.S. I want to come to Canada. Do I need an eTA?
- Do I need a visa if I am travelling through Canada without stopping or visiting?
- How do I help a family member or friend apply to visit Canada?
- I am travelling with my minor child without my spouse. What documents must I present?
- What’s the difference between a visitor visa and a visitor record?
- Do I need to apply for both a visitor visa and an eTA?
How to videos
- Date modified: