Why is my online payment being refused?
You may be
- entering the wrong information
- using a card that we don’t accept
- using a card that doesn’t have 3DS 2.0 confirmation activated
- entering your billing address before selecting your country
Check your payment details
The information you enter must match what your financial institution has on file for your account. Check your account statement to make sure you’re entering your payment details the same way.
Sometimes, when your payment details don’t match, your financial institution will hold the amount of the transaction for a few days. Delays might be different depending on your financial institution. Contact your financial institution for more information on holds.
Make sure we accept your card
- Visa®, MasterCard®, American Express® or JCB® credit cards (including prepaid cards)
- Visa® Debit and Debit MasterCard® (for online applications only), and
- UnionPay® (for online applications only; debit cards not accepted)
Debit card users must be enrolled in online banking to pay their fees online.
Check that your card has 3DS 2.0 confirmation activated
Online payments for Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada services require 3DS 2.0 (3-D Secure protocol) confirmation. This adds an extra layer of security for online credit and debit card transactions. The confirmation process might be different depending on your financial institution. In most cases, you’ll have to enter a code received by phone to complete the transaction.
Contact your financial institution and confirm if
- your credit or debit card is set up properly to accept 3DS 2.0 verification
- the phone number associated with your card is accurate
When entering your billing address, select the country first
If you live outside Canada and the United States, the State/Province field will show Not Applicable and ZIP/Postal Code will not be required.
Answers others found useful
- If you return my application, will I get a refund?
- How do I fill out and validate IRCC application forms with 2D barcodes?
- Why won’t my application form let me save my information or digitally sign it?
- How can I check if my application has been received?
- What happens after I send in my application?
- What is a UCI?
- What is an application number?
- How can I find a doctor to provide my medical exam?
- How can I get my citizenship application processed urgently?
- How can I get help with my application?
How to video
Form and guide
- Date modified: