I don't have a document I need to submit. What should I do?
If there is a document (either listed on the checklist or that we asked you to give us) that you don’t have, your application could be delayed, returned to you or refused.
There are sometimes situations you can’t control (war or natural disasters) that prevent you from getting a document.
If there is a document you can’t send us
- write us a letter
- The letter should explain why you can’t get the document or why it’s taking you longer to get it.
- send us the letter in place of the required document
- include any supporting documents (like a receipt)
We will read your letter and may contact you for more information.
Each case is different. The final decision on whether your application will be considered complete without the document is up to the officer looking at your application.
Answers others found useful
- If you return my application, will I get a refund?
- How do I fill out an IRCC application?
- How do I fill out and validate IRCC application forms with 2D barcodes?
- How can I check if my application has been received?
- What happens after I send in my application?
- What is a UCI?
- What is my client ID?
- How can I come to Canada as a visitor, worker or student?
- How do I submit my application?
- What do you mean by surname?
- How can I find a doctor to provide my medical exam?
- How can I get my application processed urgently?
- How can I get help with my application?
- If my visa, work or study permit application is refused, will I have to give biometrics for my next application?
- I submitted my application with the old permanent residence fees. Will my application be rejected or returned?
- I submitted my application and paid the processing fee before April 30, 2020. I haven’t paid the right of permanent residence fee (RPRF) yet. Do I pay the old or new RPRF fee?
- What is an application number?
- I received a letter from IRCC saying that my permanent residence application is incomplete. I paid the old fees already, but want to submit a new application. How do I pay my new permanent residence fees?
How to video
Form and guide
- Date modified: