I’m an employer in the International Mobility Program. Do I still need to use the Employer Portal?
In most cases, yes, you will have to submit your offer and pay the employer compliance fee using the Employer Portal before the worker can apply for a work permit.
However, there are some situations where you will not have to use the Employer Portal.
Open work permits
If you hire a temporary worker who has an open work permit, you don’t need to submit an offer of employment or pay the employer compliance fee.
An open work permit allows the permit holder to work for any Canadian employer.
Employer compliance exemptions
Some LMIA-exempt employers don’t need to submit an offer of employment in the Employer Portal or pay the employer compliance fee. Find out if you are exempt from the employer compliance process.
Answers others found useful
- What is an open work permit?
- Who can apply for an open work permit?
- Are there any conditions on my work permit?
- What is a Labour Market Impact Assessment?
- I am a Canadian citizen and my spouse is not. Can my spouse work in Canada?
- How can I find out about jobs in Canada?
- How long will it take to process my work permit application?
- Can I apply to extend a work permit from inside Canada?
- Date modified: