How do I fill out my application for a citizenship certificate if I don’t know everything about my parents or grandparents?
If you don’t know the information we ask for on the form, enter ‘unknown’ in the spaces provided. If it doesn’t apply to your parents or grandparents, enter ‘not applicable’ or ‘NA’.
We collect information about your parents and your grandparents, because it helps us:
- determine what section of the Citizenship Act describes your claim to citizenship
- search for citizenship records
If we don’t have enough information about your parents or grandparents, your application may be delayed and/or we may not be able to assess your claim.
Answers others found useful
- If you return my application, will I get a refund?
- How do I fill out and validate IRCC application forms with 2D barcodes?
- Why won’t my application form let me save my information or digitally sign it?
- How can I check if my application has been received?
- What happens after I send in my application?
- What is a UCI?
- What is an application number?
- How can I find a doctor to provide my medical exam?
- How can I get my citizenship application processed urgently?
- How can I get help with my application?
Form and guide
- Date modified: