How can I apply for a citizenship certificate or search of citizenship records?
There are 2 ways to apply: online or on paper. You can only apply online to get your own citizenship records. To apply for someone else’s citizenship records, you need to apply on paper.
We process online and paper applications the same way and at the same speed.
There are some differences between applying online and on paper. This includes how
- you’ll prepare and submit your application
- long you have to complete your application
- you’ll pay your fees
- we’ll communicate with you
- you’ll be able to check your application status
Find out how to apply for
Answers others found useful
- What are the requirements for becoming a Canadian citizen?
- I already have a citizenship application in process. How will the 2015 changes to the citizenship legislation affect my application?
- Do I become a Canadian when I marry a Canadian?
- How much does it cost to apply for Canadian citizenship?
- I am a citizen of another country. Will I lose that citizenship if I become a Canadian?
- What can I do if my citizenship application is refused?
- What should I do if I missed my citizenship test?
- Can I leave Canada after I mail my citizenship application?
- What is a non-routine citizenship application?
- Do I have to use the travel journal?
- If I’m applying for citizenship, do I still have to submit the physical presence calculator if I submit the travel journal?
- If I’m transferring through different countries at the airport, or by car or train, do I need to record it in my travel journal?
- How do I get more copies of the travel journal?
- My application has been returned, because it’s incomplete. Do I have to recalculate my physical presence (time lived in Canada)?
Form and guide
- Date modified: