Can I have a work permit and study permit at the same time?
Yes. You can apply for an additional permit. However, you must
- be eligible for both permits
- show the officer that you can study and work at the same time
When you apply, include a letter to explain how you’ll do this. Give details about how you’ll balance your work schedule with your studies. If you apply online, upload this letter in the Client information part of your document checklist.
Eligibility for other programs
There are some things to know about holding 2 permits:
- The work experience you gain while you hold a study permit doesn’t count toward the work experience requirements for most permanent residence programs.
- Check the requirements for your program before you apply for permanent residence.
- If you plan to apply for a post-graduation work permit when you complete your studies, you’ll need to meet the eligibility criteria.
- For example, you must maintain full-time status during all semesters of your study program, even while working.
Answers others found useful
- Do I need a permit to study in Canada?
- I am an international student in Canada. Can I work while studying?
- As a foreign student, can I return home or travel outside Canada while studying?
- When should I apply for my study permit?
- How do I apply for a study permit?
- I’ve applied to extend my study permit. Can I travel outside Canada and be able to return?
- I want to change my school or study program. How can I change my study permit?
- What do I do if the school I’m studying at loses its designated learning institution status?
Form and guide
- Date modified: