Can I have a work permit and study permit at the same time?
Yes. You can apply for an additional permit. However, you must
- be eligible for both permits
- show the officer that you can study and work at the same time
When you apply, include a letter to explain how you’ll do this. Give details about how you’ll balance your work schedule with your studies. If you apply online, upload this letter in the Client information part of your document checklist.
Eligibility for other programs
There are some things to know about holding 2 permits:
- The work experience you gain while you hold a study permit doesn’t count toward the work experience requirements for most permanent residence programs.
- Check the requirements for your program before you apply for permanent residence.
- If you plan to apply for a post-graduation work permit when you complete your studies, you’ll need to meet the eligibility criteria.
- For example, you must maintain full-time status during all semesters of your study program, even while working.
Answers others found useful
- What is an open work permit?
- Who can apply for an open work permit?
- Are there any conditions on my work permit?
- What is a Labour Market Impact Assessment?
- I am a Canadian citizen and my spouse is not. Can my spouse work in Canada?
- How can I find out about jobs in Canada?
- How long will it take to process my work permit application?
- Can I apply to extend a work permit from inside Canada?
Form and guide
- Date modified: