Once I get my work permit under this accelerated process for refugee claimants in Canada, how do I apply for a Social Insurance Number?
When you get your work permit, you must then apply for a Social Insurance Number (SIN). You can do this online, by mail or in person at a Service Canada Centre.
- Find out how to apply for a SIN
- To find a local Service Canada Centre, call 1-800 O-Canada (1-800-622-6232)
You must provide documents to support your SIN application, including
- a work permit
- a secondary document
Examples of acceptable secondary documents:
- Canadian provincial or territorial identification card or driver’s license
- acknowledgement of claim document
- refugee protection claimant document
- any other Canadian government-issued identification
Answers others found useful
- Who can make a request under the Access to Information Act?
- What information is available under the Access to Information Act and Privacy Act?
- Who can make a request under the Privacy Act?
- How and where do I submit an Access to Information or Privacy request?
- What is the fee for an Access request?
- Date modified: