I work in Quebec. How can I extend my work permit?
COVID-19: workers changing jobs or employers
You don’t need to wait until your new employer-specific work permit arrives to start a new job or work for a new employer. Follow these steps to start working after you apply for a work permit.
If you’re an International Experience Canada participant, see Extend or change your work permit – International Experience Canada.
Step 1: Find out if you need a Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA)
If you need an LMIA, your employer must follow these steps:
- Apply for an LMIA renewal from Employment and Social Development Canada. A positive LMIA allows your employer to hire you.
- Apply to Quebec’s provincial government for a Québec Acceptance Certificate (CAQ) for your job.
For more information, see the page Immigrate and settle in Quebec – Temporary workers.
If your employer doesn’t need an LMIA to hire you, you’re also exempt from getting a CAQ. In most cases, your employer will need to submit a new offer of employment through the Employer Portal.
Some LMIA-exempt employers don’t need to submit an offer of employment or pay the employer compliance fee. Find out how to get a work permit for these jobs.
Step 2: Apply to extend your work permit
Before your work permit expires, apply to extend your work permit.
Include copies of your job offer letter or contract and:
- the new LMIA or CAQ, or
- the offer of employment number that your LMIA-exempt employer received after submitting your offer (if applicable)
Information for your spouse or common-law partner
Your spouse or common-law partner may be eligible to apply for an open work permit. Their work permit will have the same expiry date as your own.
Answers others found useful
- What is an open work permit?
- Who can apply for an open work permit?
- Are there any conditions on my work permit?
- What is a Labour Market Impact Assessment?
- I am a Canadian citizen and my spouse is not. Can my spouse work in Canada?
- How can I find out about jobs in Canada?
- How long will it take to process my work permit application?
- Can I apply to extend a work permit from inside Canada?
Form and guide
- Date modified: