I’m a live-in caregiver and I’m ready to apply for permanent residence. Can I apply for an open work permit?
As a live-in caregiver, you can apply for an open work permit when you apply for permanent residence under the Live-in Caregiver Class.
You must also have:
- held valid work permits under the program for two years or more; and
- worked for at least 3,900 hours or 2 years as a live-in caregiver within no more than 4 years.
Send your work permit application in the same envelop as your permanent residence application before your current work permit expires.
An open work permit allows you to work for any employer for the length of time specified on the work permit.
Answers others found useful
- How long will it take to process my application?
- When does my processing time start?
- How can I check the status of my application?
- Why can’t I see my case status online?
- I sent my application a while ago, but there is no record of my application online. Why?
- How are processing times calculated?
- Why do some application processing times change and others do not?
- What does my family sponsorship application status mean?
- Why can’t I create a permanent residence tracker account for my sponsorship application?
- Why have processing times changed for some applications types?
- How do I check the status of my Canada-Ukraine authorization for emergency travel application?
Form and guide
- Date modified: