After I apply for citizenship, how long will it be before I can take the test?
We’re now inviting applicants to take the citizenship test online.
In-person tests may also be available if you need an accommodation.
For the latest instructions, wait for and check your invitation.
Every application is different. The wait time for your test invitation depends on your situation and our current processing time (updated weekly).
For example, you may wait longer if your application is non-routine.
Send a complete application
To submit a complete application
- all sections of the “Review before you submit” page in your account must have a “Ready” status (if applying online)
- read the document checklist in the application package (if applying on paper)
Your wait time may be longer if you send an incomplete application.
Wait for your test invitation
You can’t take the test without an invitation.
When you check your application status, go to the “Citizenship test” section of the citizenship status tracker. If it shows “In progress”, that means
- we have scheduled your test
- you’ll get your invitation soon
You still have to wait for the invitation to arrive before you can take the test.
If you have an emergency
If you need to take the test sooner due to an emergency, check if you qualify for urgent processing.
Answers others found useful
- What are the requirements for becoming a Canadian citizen?
- I already have a citizenship application in process. How will the 2015 changes to the citizenship legislation affect my application?
- Do I become a Canadian when I marry a Canadian?
- How much does it cost to apply for Canadian citizenship?
- I am a citizen of another country. Will I lose that citizenship if I become a Canadian?
- What can I do if my citizenship application is refused?
- What should I do if I missed my citizenship test?
- Can I leave Canada after I mail my citizenship application?
- What is a non-routine citizenship application?
- Do I have to use the travel journal?
- If I’m applying for citizenship, do I still have to submit the physical presence calculator if I submit the travel journal?
- If I’m transferring through different countries at the airport, or by car or train, do I need to record it in my travel journal?
- How do I get more copies of the travel journal?
- My application has been returned, because it’s incomplete. Do I have to recalculate my physical presence (time lived in Canada)?
- Date modified: