Language selection


Help Centre what do you need help with?

I have a PhD and am in a post-doctoral program. Do I qualify for the Canadian Experience Class?

Work experience gained while you were on a study permit will not count towards meeting the Canadian Experience Class requirements.

But, you may still be eligible if you:

  • already gained one year of skilled Canadian work experience while you were not on a study permit, and
  • meet the language threshold for that occupation .

Note: Completing an Express Entry profile is the first step to immigrate to Canada permanently as a skilled worker. Completing an Express Entry profile does not guarantee that you will receive an Invitation to Apply for permanent residence. An Invitation to Apply for permanent residence will be based on your score and rank in the Express Entry pool using the Comprehensive Ranking System.

Answers others found useful


  • Come to Canada

How to videos

Glossary term

Date modified: