What is a port of entry (POE) letter?
It’s a letter you may receive from IRCC if you’ve been approved for a
- study permit
- work permit or
- super visa (if you’re from a country that doesn’t require a visitor visa)
Officially, it’s called the port of entry (POE) letter of introduction. But this letter is sometimes called the
- correspondence letter
- introduction letter
- introductory letter
The letter of introduction is not your study or work permit.
You’ll get this letter if you were approved and you
- applied online or
- gave us your email address in your study or work permit application
When you arrive in Canada
Tell the officer at the port of entry about your approved application.
If you don’t have a printed copy of your letter of introduction, you can show
- an electronic version or
- the visitor visa in your passport, if you have one
Answers others found useful
- What is an open work permit?
- Who can apply for an open work permit?
- Are there any conditions on my work permit?
- What is a Labour Market Impact Assessment?
- I am a Canadian citizen and my spouse is not. Can my spouse work in Canada?
- How can I find out about jobs in Canada?
- How long will it take to process my work permit application?
- Can I apply to extend a work permit from inside Canada?
How to video
Form and guide
- Date modified: