What is a port of entry (POE) letter?
It’s a letter you may receive from IRCC if you’ve been approved for a
- study permit
- work permit or
- super visa (if you’re from a country that doesn’t require a visitor visa)
Officially, it’s called the port of entry (POE) letter of introduction. But this letter is sometimes called the
- correspondence letter
- introduction letter
- introductory letter
The letter of introduction is not your study or work permit.
You’ll get this letter if you were approved and you
- applied online or
- gave us your email address in your study or work permit application
When you arrive in Canada
Tell the officer at the port of entry about your approved application.
If you don’t have a printed copy of your letter of introduction, you can show
- an electronic version or
- the visitor visa in your passport, if you have one
Answers others found useful
- Can I come to Canada before I receive my POE Letter?
- What type of insurance do I need for International Experience Canada?
- Can I change employers if I have an International Experience Canada work permit?
- Can I extend my International Experience Canada work permit?
- Can I stay in Canada as a tourist after my work permit expires?
How to video
Form and guide
- Date modified: